Start your day off right with breakfast to help fuel your mind and your body!
Peach Melba Smoothie
Jump-start your day with an easily made, portable, nutritious smoothie combining choices from two food groups. Try different kinds of canned or frozen fruits for variety and serve with toast or a bagel for a balanced breakfast.
- 1 bag frozen peaches (or 14 oz/398 ml tinned peaches) 300g
- 1 cup plain yoghurt 250 ml
- 1 cup milk 250 ml
- 1/2 cup raspberry or cranberry juice from concentrate 125 ml
- In a blender or food processor, pure peaches with yoghurt until smooth. Add milk and juice concentrate; blend until frothy.
For a dairy-free version, use 1 package (10oz/300g) soft silken tofu instead of yoghurt; use soy milk instead of milk.
Muesli can be prepared in advance and refrigerated to provide a quick and versatile solution for breakfast and snacks. For breakfast, serve with milk or yoghurt. Or pack in a lunch bag or portable container for a handy mid-morning snack or to sprinkle on yoghurt.
- 1-1/4 cups rolled oats 300 ml
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut 75 ml
- 1/4 cup wheat germ 50 ml
- 1/4 cup wheat flakes 50 ml
- 2 tbsp sliced almonds 25 ml
- 2 tbsp unsalted sunflower seeds 25 ml
- 1/4 cup liquid honey 50 ml
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil 25 ml
- 1/3 cup dried raisins or cranberries 75 ml
In a bowl, stir together rolled oats, coconut, wheat germ, wheat flakes, almonds and sunflower seeds. In a small saucepan, heat together honey and oil over medium-low heat; gradually stir into oat mixture until well coated. Spread on rimmed baking sheet; bake in 350F (180C) oven, stirring frequently, for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven to rack; stir in raisins. Let cool, stirring occasionally to prevent clumping. Let cool, stirring occasionally to prevent clumping